June - August
- Continue to research all colleges of interest. Gather information about academics, campus life and financial aid opportunities. Use Naviance and resources found on www.pvscollegecounseling.com.
- Narrow your college list to fewer than eight to ten schools (2 selective, 4 target, 3 likely). Only apply to schools you are willing and able to attend. This is a suggested maximum; you needn’t apply to this many and most Pine View students do not.
- Create a checklist for test scores, essays, recommendations, financial aid applications, and deadlines for each college to which you are applying.
- Register for fall SAT, SAT subject area and/or ACT if appropriate.
- Most applications open in August. You should begin Early Action/Early Decision as well as all Florida public university applications (please see below).
- If applying to Florida Public universities:
- Please note the FSU and UF deadlines (October 15th and November 1st respectively). These applications are currently open). You are strongly encouraged to use the Common Application over other application options. Essay topics for the Common Application are the same this year as last.
- A transcript will be sent home in August in order for you to complete the Self-Reported Academic Record component of the UF and FSU applications (SSAR).
- Florida public universities do not accept letters of recommendation.
- All other State University campuses use priority rolling admissions plans. Apply early.
- If applying to private colleges/universities and many out-of-state public universities you should also use the Common Application in all cases. The 2023-24 application cycle for the CommonApp re-opened on August 1st. You may begin completing it now (application information will rollover).
- The Common App essay prompts remain the same for 2022-2023. Begin developing and writing your essay NOW.
- If applying to colleges that require teacher recommendations think about the teachers you might ask (two are usually required). Make initial requests in person. You will then request electronically through Naviance (additional directions to follow in August letter home).
- Make an appointment with Mr. Bergman to review your transcript, test scores, extracurricular activities and to discuss college questions and plans.
- August 22nd Attend in-school College Presentation (Parent evening event from 6:30-8:00PM)
- August/September Class-based Senior College Planning meetings (upcoming).
- September 12th Sarasota County College Night at Robarts Arena (6:00-8:00PM).
- If using the Common App you must synchronize it with Naviance by signing the Common App Waiver and FERPA form (please refer to the August mailing for instructions).
- Complete your college essay(s). Spend time revising and developing a strong essay.
- October 1st - Application for Florida Bright Futures opens. Please sign up (instructions to follow).
- October 2nd Transcript Request Deadline for Early Action/Early Decision applicants. Transcript Request 2024 (Green form).
- Early Teacher recommendation requests must also be made through Naviance by the 10/2 Transcript Request EA/ED deadline.
- You are strongly encouraged to complete and submit all EA/ED applications well ahead of the October 15th/November 1st deadlines.
- Complete all Florida “rolling admissions” applications as early as possible (scholarship deadlines).
- October 15th Please note the Florida State University early application deadline. The Self-Reported Academic Record (SSAR) must also completed by this deadline.
- Once you have applied to your college go to Naviance and confirm by checking “I have submitted my application."
- The CSS Financial Aid Profile opens. If required by your college complete by institutional deadline.
- If needed, make a “short” appointment with Mr. Bergman to discuss college questions.
- November 1st - Application deadline for most Early Action, Single Choice Early Action and Early Decision applications. Please submit well prior to this date.
- November 1st - UF deadline for completion of the Common Application Complete and submit your Application. The Self-Reported Academic Record (SSAR) must also completed by 12/1 for UF). Do not miss these deadlines!
- November 14th Pine View School FAFSA/Financial Aid Night (6:30-8:00PM-Virtual)
- December 4th - Transcript Request Deadline for Regular Decision applications (Final application list must be received for ALL colleges). Requests after this date must be discussed with guidance and will NOT receive priority or preferential support. Transcript Request 2024
- Work on remaining Regular Decision college applications, essay(s), and required supplements. Complete and submit January 1st Regular Decision and EDII applications early.
- If required, request official SAT/ACT scores be sent to your colleges (through College Board/ACT).
- Research scholarships. Visit the Naviance scholarship database.
- December TBD– The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opens. File as early as possible for full grant and scholarship consideration.
- January 1st-15th - Deadlines for most Regular Decision applications (and a number of EDII).
- Once you have applied to your college go to Naviance and confirm by checking “I have submitted my application.”
- Complete and document community service hours and meet other Bright Futures requirements.
- Complete and submit Mid-Year Report forms to Guidance for transmittal to colleges.
- Continue exploring scholarship databases (see Naviance). Many local, community and private scholarships open up at this time.
- Decision letters begin to arrive. Most Regular Decision notification dates occur in late March, early April. Review and compare offers. See Financial Aid Award letter resources on PVS website.
- Avoid “senior slump” and maintain grades. College offers can be rescinded.
- Deadline to notify colleges and send all deposits for tuition and housing is May 1st.
- Enter decisions and scholarship awards on Naviance.
- Make certain you have received the FAFSA acknowledgment and Student Aid Report.
- Notify all other colleges to which you were accepted that you will not be attending.
- May 1st – National College Decision Day! Deadline to confirm enrollment at the College you will attend and pay deposit!
- Fill out senior College Acceptance survey card and return to Mr. Bergman. Enter all acceptance/ rejection information into Naviance.
- By graduation - Completed Community Service forms must be turned into guidance (last chance!).
- Give Mrs. Manders Final Report Forms and requests for final transcript through Naviance.
- Write thank you notes to all who assisted you with your college application process.