June - August
- Continue to research all colleges of interest. Gather information about academics, campus life and financial aid opportunities. Use Naviance and resources found on www.pvscollegecounseling.com.
- Narrow your college list to fewer than eight to ten schools (2 selective, 3 target, 3 likely). Only apply to schools you are willing and able to attend. This is a suggested maximum; you needn’t apply to this many and most Pine View students do not.
- Create a checklist for test scores, essays, recommendations, financial aid applications, and deadlines for each college to which you are applying.
- Most applications open in August. You should begin Early Action/Early Decision as well as all Florida public university applications (please see below).
- If applying to Florida Public universities:
- Please note the FSU and UF deadlines (both November 1st). These applications will open by mid-August). Both are using the Coalition for Access, Affordability and Success application exclusively. The Coalition essay topics have been released and can be found at http://www.coalitionforcollegeaccess.org/students.html.
- A transcript will be sent home in August in order for you to complete the SSAR component of the UF and FSU applications.
- Florida public universities do not accept letters of recommendation.
- Other State University campuses use priority rolling admissions plans. Apply early. While essay prompts will likely remain the same as last year, you may wish to wait.
- If applying to private colleges/universities and many out of state public universities you should use the Common Application www.commonapp.org. The 2017 application cycle for the CommonApp opens for submission on August 1st. You may begin completing the application now.
- The Common App essay prompts remain the same for 2016-17. Begin developing and writing your essay NOW.
- Think about the teachers you might ask to write letters of recommendation (two are usually required). Make initial requests in person upon return from summer break. You will then request electronically through Naviance (additional directions to follow in mid-August).
- If you have not done so make an appointment with Mr. Bergman to review your transcript, test scores, extracurricular activities and to discuss college questions and plans
- September 5th or 6th Please attend the Senior College Planning meeting (Period 7).
- September 7th Sarasota County College Night at Robarts Arena.
- September 26th Pine View Financial Aid/FAFSA Night.
- If using the Common App you must synchronize it with Family Connection by signing the Common App Waiver and FERPA form (please refer to the August mailing for instructions).
- Complete your college essay(s). Spend time revising and developing a strong essay.
- Register for fall SAT, SAT subject area and/or ACT if appropriate.
- October 6th Transcript Request Deadline for Early Action/Early Decision applicants. Transcript Request 2017 (green form)
- Teacher recommendations requests must also be made by the October 6th EA/ED deadline. Provide teacher(s) with the Teacher Letter Confirmation and then request electronically through Family Connection.
- You are strongly encouraged to complete and submit all EA/ED applications well ahead of the October 15th/November 1st deadlines.
- Please note the University of Florida and Florida State University early deadlines (11/1).
- October 1st – The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opens. File as early as possible for for full grant and scholarship consideration.
- October 6th Transcript Request Deadline – Early Action/Early Decision applicants MUST submit a Transcript Request 2017 (green form) to guidance AND Teacher Letter Confirmation to recommenders.
- Electronically request letter(s) of recommendation from teachers through Naviance.
- If needed, make a “short” appointment with Mr. Bergman to discuss college questions.
- Early Action/Early Decision applicants must complete and submit applications on time (most are 11/1).
- Complete all other Florida “rolling admissions” applications as early as possible (note priority scholarship deadlines).
- File the CSS Financial Aid Profile if required by your college(s).
- Once you have applied to your college go to Family Connection and confirm by checking “I have submitted my application”
- November - UF and FSU deadlines for completion of the Coalition Application Complete and submit your Application. The Self-Reported Academic Record (SSAR) must also completed by 11/1 for FSU and 12/1 for UF). Do not miss these deadlines!
- November 27th - Transcript Request Deadline for Regular Decision applications (Final application list must be received for ALL colleges). Requests after this date must be discussed with guidance and will NOT receive priority or preferential support. Transcript Request 2017
- November 27th- Teacher Letter Confirmation due to each recommender. Include ALL schools to which you are applying. Once submitted you must then select your recommenders on Naviance.
- Work on remaining Regular Decision college applications, essay(s), and required supplements. Complete and submit January 1st Regular Decision applications early and in all cases by Winter Break.
- Request SAT/ACT send your Official Score Reports to the schools to your colleges.
- Research scholarships. Visit the Family Connection scholarship database.
- January 1st Deadline for most Regular Decision applications.
- Once you have applied to your college go to Family Connection and confirm by checking “I have submitted my application”.
- Complete and document community service hours and meet other Bright Futures requirements
- Complete and submit Mid-Year Report forms to Guidance for transmittal to colleges.
- Continue exploring scholarship databases (see Family Connection). Many local, community and private scholarships open up at this time.
- Decision letters begin to arrive. Most Regular Decision notification dates occur in late March, early April. Review and compare offers.
- Avoid “senior slump” and maintain grades. College offers can be rescinded.
- Deadline to notify colleges and send all deposits for tuition and housing is May 1st.
- Enter decisions and scholarship awards on Naviance/Family Connection.
- Make certain you have received the FAFSA acknowledgment and Student Aid Report.
- Notify all other colleges to which you were accepted that you will not be attending.
- May 1st – National College Decision Day! Deadline to select the College you will attend and pay deposit.
- May 4th- Completed Community Service forms must be turned into guidance.
- Fill out senior College Acceptance survey card and return to Mr. Bergman. Enter all acceptance/rejection information into Family Connection
- Give Mrs. Manders Final Report Forms and requests for final transcript through Family Connection.
- Write thank you notes to all who assisted you with your college application process.